To read the NSW Greens full platform for the 2019 election click here.
CLIMATE ACTION NOW
We are in a climate emergency. There can be no further delay in taking the steps we know are needed to respond to climate change and protect our future.
Both Labor and Coalition governments in NSW have delivered disastrous environmental outcomes, as they protect vested interests and refuse to end their addiction to coal.
The Greens have a plan for comprehensive reform that will transform Australia into a carbon-neutral powerhouse that creates new jobs and a cleaner planet.
Australia has one of the world’s highest per capita greenhouse gas emissions and we are one of the biggest exporters of coal. While global warming is a truly global issue, there’s a lot we can do in Australia’s most populous state to be a world leader and take meaningful action that will have a real impact.
Jenny and the Greens want immediate action to:
- Transition to 100% renewables and close all NSW coal-fired power stations by 2030
- End coal mining and ban political donations from the fossil fuel industry
- Make all homes and public buildings carbon neutral
- Create tens of thousands of jobs in the clean energy economy, while retraining and guaranteeing work for displaced workers from the fossil fuel industry
- Develop a reliable network of EV charging stations for electric vehicles
- Secure a fair price for feeding solar power back into the grid
- Ensure that impact on climate is a consideration for every bill introduced to the NSW Parliament
Jenny’s climate action work includes:
- Campaigning for the transition to 100% renewable energy
- Introducing a Climate Change Bill into the NSW Parliament: to set targets for greenhouse gas emissions reductions, and actions to achieve those targets
- Asking the Premier why NSW has under spent on Climate Change for 3 years in a row
- Speaking in Parliament about the renewable energy revolution being driven by our community
For more detail on the Greens’ plan to address climate change:
- The NSW Greens Climate Change policy
- The Australian Greens Climate Change and Energy Policy
- PowerNSW: Greens statewide energy plan to rewire the future
A CITY FOR ALL OF US
Sydney is a vibrant, dynamic city that’s at risk of being ruined by private developers, vested-interests and shock-jocks.
Our city has been locked down, our cultural icons have been rented out to the gambling industry and our green spaces have been bull-dozed to make way for toll roads.
We have a vision for a city that is livable, sustainable and diverse. This means investing in public and affordable housing, green space, community facilities, public transport and recreational facilities. It means embracing innovative design and sustainable technologies. It means engaging in meaningful consultation with communities.
The government's Urban Growth strategy has no targets for affordable housing, sustainability or open space. There are no guarantees that their new and expanded neighbourhoods will have the critical infrastructure they need such as schools, sporting fields, medical facilities or public transport.
Jenny and the Greens know Sydney needs:
- Safe, secure and affordable housing with significantly more high-quality public, community and affordable housing
- Big investment in public-owned public transport, cycleways and walkways
- Beautiful green spaces, parks and play areas
- A people-centred approach to planning that stops overdevelopment and creates services in local communities
- Support for our cultural and creative industries, with funding for community centres, artist spaces and artists
- Banning corporate donations to political parties to reduce the influence of vested interests in policy making
- Affordable and secure housing for everyone, not just the wealthy
Jenny’s work includes:
- Chairing the Newtown Vibe Rountable to keep Newtown safe and open
- Speaking in Parliament about the Greens’ alternatives to lockouts.
- Asking questions in Parliament to former Premier Mike Baird to acknowledge that there are measures other than lockouts that can reduce violence and also keep Sydney open.
- Publishing an op ed in the Sydney Morning Herald on the Sydney lockout laws in the SMH.
- Campaigning for Renters Rights, so that people who rent have affordable and secure homes in our city
- Working with community to protect green space and build more cycleways, parks and recreational facilities
PUBLIC SERVICES FOR PUBLIC GOOD
Investing in public services is good for our community and our future. Public education, public transport and public health services provide universal benefits for everyone who uses them, as well as an essential safety net for people doing it tough.
Yet, the NSW Liberal-National government is on a privatisation rampage. They’re selling off our valuable public assets to make a quick buck - to the long-term detriment of every person in NSW.
This privatisation agenda has to stop.
The Greens want the public interest to be put first, with smart, evidence-based investment in public services that remain in public hands.
Jenny and the Greens are demanding:
- Investment in free, high-quality public education and healthcare, including early childhood and mental health care
- An end to the sell-off of bus networks and the privatisation of mass-transport
- Increased investment in public aged care, to ensure dignity and security for everybody in their later years
- Urgent action to address public housing waiting lists, with safe and secure housing available for everyone who needs it
- Stop the sell-off of public land and invest in community infrastructure, including publicly-owned housing
Jenny’s work includes:
- Supporting the successful campaign to restore funding to services that advocate on behalf of people with a disability
- Opposing the wholesale sell off of public housing in Waterloo, Redfern, Darlington and Everleigh.
- Exposing the poor governance and accountability of privatisation of public transport
- Standing up for public education
To read more about Jenny's work follow this link.